Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Beginning

On a new quest to become domestic goddess(and a perfect mom!), I wanted to find a way to share and store ideas that I have come across that are helpful in a home. Since my cooking skills rate a 2 on a scale of 10, I figured writing a recipe blog would be a bad idea!

Recently it seems as if I have come across some great ideas on making life easier when it comes to keeping up with your home. I struggle with this daily and needed to find a way to keep all the good ideas I see in one place. I started tearing articles out of magazines, printing emails, and trying to remember things my mom, MIL and friends have told me, but I wanted to be more organized. So, on this blog I will post from time to time anything new that I have seen, read or heard of, in hopes that it will help someone else out and so that I can come back to this when I need a solution. Please feel free to comment with your own ideas that I have yet to discover!

The majority of ideas I have come across lately have to do with home remedies. I figured the best way to start is to address some traditional remedies that have been proven to be unhelpful.

1. Butter- was used to relieve and heal burns(can increase the risk of infection). I have a memory of my grandmother putting butter on a burn when I was little.
2. Wet rags - was used for sore throats. People would rap cold and damp cloths around their necks and sleep with it on.
3. Onions - You were supposed to boil chopped onion in water with sugar and drink it to cure a cold. All I can say is GROSS!
4. Cigar Smoke - It was suggested to puff the smoke into an achy ear to soothe pain. Second hand smoke???
5. Raw Steak - Put it on a black eye. Bacteria?! Common sense would tell me not to put raw meet on my eye. Get an ice pack!

Here are a few home remedies that may be oldies but are goodies:
1.Duct Tape for warts - clean wart, cover with duct tape, remove after six days, soak in warm water, rub away with pumice. Repeat until wart is gone. (Drawback it may take 2 months)
2. Dish soap for poison ivy - Within two hours of exposure rub dish soap on affected area for 30 seconds. Rinse.
3. Toothpaste for a bee sting - Put it on the bee sting. Should relieve pain. We all also know it works well on acne(don't use too frequently or will make it worse).

I haven't used any of these remedies so if anyone has, please let me know if they are helpful or not.

5 comments:

  1. Again you have "outdone" yourself. what a great idea....I will get ideas from you. What's wrong with a little butter on your burn? and a broken egg on your forehead when you get "ojo"? fun to read your blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about hot tea on pink eye?? Remember that mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Monique ~ we use tobacco or baking soda on stings - I wet the tabacco I don't chew it! yuck! But when you get stung by a scorpion it really helps to take the sting out quick. And with RED Wasps also!

    Cute idea you have here! I will keep thinking on things my mom has shared with me over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have someone "pee" on a jelly fish sting. Remember south padre?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done the toothpaste on zits...works! Still doesn't miracle cure however. Still looking for that one!
    A friend also told me that she cured a wart by wrapping a banana peel around it. Her grandmother told her to try it and it worked on her.

    ReplyDelete